Friday, April 11, 2008

Chinese Eat-In

This week's meal plan called for trying a new recipe, Chicken Walnut Stir Fry, from a cookbook I got this weekend at my office's silent auction. I have only made one other Chinese dish, Ginger Beef stirfry, that has turned out remotely how real Chinese food is supposed to taste. Tonight though, I have done it again! I am thrilled with how this dish turned out...only wish I could bottle up the taste for you...but since I can't do that, the least I can do is share the recipe. Another great thing about this recipe is I had all the ingredients already, no extra shopping needed.

Chicken Walnut Stir Fry

3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
5 tbsp oil, divided
5 tsp soy sauce, divided
3 tsp constarch, divided
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp dried crushed red pepper (I used flakes)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (toasted first)
1 med onion, cut into 1 in pieces (I left this out)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 lb broccoli, cut into 1 in pieces (I added more)

Mix 1 tbsp oil, 2 tsp soy sauce and 1 tsp cornstarch in a small mixing bowl. Add chicken and stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes. (I left mine marinating overnight) Mix broth, ginger, remaining 3 tsp soy sauce and remaining 2 tsp cornstarch in small bowl; set aside. Heat remaining 4 tbsp oil in large skillet. Add refrigerated chicken mixture and red pepper. Stir fry until chicken is no longer pink. Remove chicken from skillet; set aside. Add onion and garlic to skillet. Stir fry over medium high heat until onion is tender. Add broccoli. Stir fry until tender. Add chicken and chicken broth mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Stir in walnuts. Serve with rice. Makes 4 servings.

No comments: