Thursday, April 8, 2010

something is wrong with this picture

Ever since my Introduction to Nutrition class my first semester of college, I have been aware of what I eat and how it affects my body. No illusions here though...that doesn't mean I always eat the way I know I should, but at least I'm actively learning and trying to incorporate good nutrition principles.

Well, now that I work in the oncology field, I am even more aware of how what we eat affects our bodies. Here's the thing though. In the past few months I've started working one day a week in an oncology outpatient office - where patients get chemo and come for doctors appointments. Sometimes the pharmaceutical reps provide lunch. Since I only work at the office until 1pm, it doesn't make a lot of sense to leave and come back for lunch. Since it's not "my" office alone, I don't usually bring my lunch. Plus, the pharm. rep lunches are FREE and who doesn't love FREE? Anyway, today was a day that lunch was provided. I made my way upstairs to the break room to see what the spread included. Usually there's a good assortment of salads, veggies, meat and dessert. Here's today's menu:

BBQ chicken
Baked beans
Macaroni and cheese
Salad (I hesitate to call it this...really it was just iceberg lettuce)
New potatoes (dripping in butter sauce)
Yellow cake
Boston creme layered dessert

I couldn't believe it! Not ONE decent vegetable. Nothing green or even brightly colored (the iceberg lettuce was NOT green). This is the opposite of the diet we should be eating to reduce our cancer risk. Oh wait, the pharmaceutical reps represent companies that make cancer drugs...maybe they don't mind if we get cancer because that means that we need to use their drugs!!

Ok, so I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but it sure did make me think about the choices we make with the foods we eat. Especially since despite all my thoughts on the topic today, I ended up eating this food for lunch anyway. It's what happens when you're hungry and there are no other options around.

In the past month, Chuck has lost 22lbs with diet and exercise. I'm SO proud of him. But there is still a long road ahead for him to get to his goal weight and stay there. For me, it's about building muscle that I lost while I was pregnant. I think that in our house we need to use this one key idea - that we eat what's easy and available - to change our eating patterns for good. If we have good choices that are easy and available, that's what we'll eat. But if we have bad choices, then, what do you know? That's what we eat!

I have been meaning for a long time to start meal planning but I have some kind of "block" that is keeping me from doing it. (takes too long, don't know what I'd fix, etc) I think if I could just move past it and take the time and DO it, it would make a world of difference in our house! Now that Salem is eating solid foods, I know it's even more important that we establish good practices around nutrition. Here's to meal planning...anyone have any good tips that have worked for you?

No comments: