Sunday, August 3, 2008

Take Me Out to the Ballgame

I am realizing I am quite behind on my blog entries, because this one is from a few weeks ago, but since I'm using this as a scrapbook/journal of sorts, I'll try to go back and post what's been going on.

A few weekends ago a group of us from Journey of Faith hosted a Big Brothers Big Sisters activity for the kids on the waiting list who haven't been matched yet w/ a big brother or big sister. We took them to a minor league baseball game where the Barlow Girls were performing after the show. All the adults were matched up with kids from the BBBS program. Although the intent was for the kids to connect w/ another caring adult, I found it hard to connect with my "little" for the evening. She, of course, was more interested in talking with her friend (a comfort zone thing I'm sure) than she was interacting w/ me. I kept asking her questions about her life, her likes and dislikes, etc. and kept getting one word answers.

Despite feeling like I didn't make much of an impact on her during the evening, I did enjoy the time with Patrice. We realized on Friday at work that we were both planning on going, so they got tickets with us and we got to hang out some. The game was not something I'd go to on a regular basis, but it was a fun evening.

Announcing the groups at the ballgame

Chuck with the BBBS intern for the summer, Heather

Me and Patrice at the game....it was a long night and I look a little sleepy!

No comments: