Friday, March 7, 2008

Rain at the Beach

This morning we've enjoyed a big breakfast and were looking forward to walking on the beach too, but our plans have been diverted by the unwelcome RAIN. Now, don't get me wrong, I know we really need rain, but can't it wait till after we get back from the beach? The forecast today is rain, the forecast tomorrow is thunderstorms, and we're headed home Sunday morning. Maybe it will stop long enough today for us to go out for a bit.

All this thinking about rain made me wonder about how rain is used in the Bible. Here are some verses that use rain as a metaphor:

Hosea 6:3 Let us acknowledge the LORD; let us press on to acknowledge him. As surely as the sun rises, he will appear; he will come to us like the winter rains, like the spring rains that water the earth.

Proverbs 27:15 A quarrelsome wife is like a constant dripping on a rainy day.

So, looks like rain can be both a positive and a negative, and that's how I feel today. I know we need it, but I really want to see the sun today...which reminds me of a song I used to sing as a kid..."Oh Mr. Sun, Sun, Mr. Golden Sun, please shine down on me..." Why is it that we tend to sing in the rain?

No comments: