Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Superbowl Sunday & Quinoa Chicken Stew


Superbowl Sunday was spent at Jerry & Judy's house with a crowd of our friends. It was 'potluck' so I took the opportunity to try out a new recipe...and a new ingredient! My friend Sara must eat a gluten-free diet and she recently introduced me to quinoa. Apparently it is a powerhouse food - a complete protein and full of other good-for-you stuff. I am trying to step out of my 'food box' and try some different things, so this was a step in the right direction. I found the recipe at The Nourishing Gourmet blog and it turned out just as expected. Chuck's not sure about the texture, but I think I'm going to enjoy finding new ways to cook it. It's a great substitute for rice and much more nutritious. To learn more about this nutty grain, check out Wikipedia's description. If you decide to try it, leave me a comment and let me know how it turned out!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

I haven't tried quinoa but I will have to soon. BUT - you should try barley...you can replace white flour in a recipe with barley and get whole grains.